‘Carnralla’ was built on part of the Fear grant in 1898. Early in 1863 three brothers and a sister came to the area near what is now known as Hookham’s Corner. Jonas Fear acquired 40 acres between Old Berowra Road and Peats Ferry Road. Hugh Fear had 24 acres in adjacent blocks and another portion of 22 acres extending south to Mildred Avenue.
Thomas McCloy was a high-class tailor operating from premises in Martin Place, Sydney. Thomas and his wife Jane, lived in ‘Carnralla’. Thomas built a house next door for his son Thompson Henry McCloy who married Nina Mary Lane in Hornsby in 1915. Their cottage was named ‘Wychwood’. Thompson died in 1941 and Nina died in 1982. According to Nina, there was an old well in the grounds of 368 Peats Ferry Road.
Jane McCloy died in 1927 and Thomas McCloy died in 1942. Between 1942 and 1970, the property remained with the McCloy family and as trustees, sons Samuel Millar McCloy and Rowland Henry McCloy were paying the rates on the property. At this stage the property consisted of three lots, Lots 2-4 DP 24081 from the corner of Mildred Avenue. ‘Carnralla’, a brick cottage with a garage, was located on Lot 3.
Heritage listed in HSLEP 1994, Gazetted 22 July 1994.
Date Inspected: 29-Feb-1992